Eyes Health Care

Man Blinded in Right Eye After Showering While Wearing Contact Lenses

A 29-year-old man in the United Kingdom says he was blinded in the right eye care after he wore his contact lenses in the shower.

A parasite living in water found its way into Nick Humphreys’s eye from the shower and left him blind in one eye, according to a personal story shared by Humphreys with the Shropshire Star.

“It was a bright but chilly Friday afternoon in January last year when I first noticed something seriously wrong. My right eye care had been a bit dry all week, but I simply put it down to early mornings and a lack of sleep. But this was something more,” shared Humphreys who’s a local journalist from Shrewsbury, Shropshire.

He said he’s been wearing glasses since the age of four or five but was never happy the way he looked in them. Humphreys started using contact lenses in 2013.

How Did the Infection Happen?

Humphreys said he consulted few eye specialists and had five scrapings from his infected eye sent for testing. The results showed that his eye was infected by Acanthamoeba keratitis (AK), a micro-organism found in water.

“After using disinfectant eye drops for three weeks, it seemed I was on the mend, but by March 2018 I found myself completely blind in my right eye,” he wrote.

He said if he would have ever known that contact lenses under the shower can cause such an infection, he would have never worn it.

“It’s crucial that people out there know this is a reality and can happen because of something as simple as showering,” wrote Humphreys on Shropshire Star.

Contact Lens Dangers

Fight for Sight conducted a poll in July this year that proved that many people in the United Kingdom put their eyesight under risk due to unhealthy contact lens habits, reported News Medical Life Sciences.

The poll showed that 56 percent of those who participated in it, admitted that they wear contact lenses for more than 12 hours continuously which is the recommended time. 54 percent said they have gone swimming or showered with contact lenses on and 47 percent said they slept while wearing them.

News Medical Life Sciences reported that Acanthamoeba keratitis, the microorganism that infected Humphreys, infects 1.2 to 3 million people every year around the world.

If not treated immediately it can lead to complete loss of eye vision.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Resource URL: https://bit.ly/2Gx5tdM

Author: deepa

Deepa is a writer and a passionate blogger. She has years of experience in writing articles, blogs and press releases after a deep research. At http://healthcaretipstoday.com she writes interesting topics on all health, beauty, fitness and healthy life. She loves exploring, researching and providing the best information to readers. In her free times, she loves to read books.

How useful was this post?

Click on a star to rate it!

Average rating / 5. Vote count:

Show More

deepa

Deepa is a writer and a passionate blogger. She has years of experience in writing articles, blogs and press releases after a deep research. At http://healthcaretipstoday.com she writes interesting topics on all health, beauty, fitness and healthy life. She loves exploring, researching and providing the best information to readers. In her free times, she loves to read books.

Related Articles

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Check Also

Close
Translate »
Close

Adblock Detected

Please consider supporting us by disabling your ad blocker